Eggplant Focaccia Bread with Spicy Salad Microgreens
- 1 10×15 sheet pan with ridges
- 1 mixer
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup warm water 105F
- 1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water 105F
- 1 cup potato, steamed and riced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 eggplant
- 1/4 cup salt for the eggplant to draw out moisture
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tsp rosemary finely chopped
- 2 tbsp water
- 4 cup spicy microgreens
- In a stand mixer whisk together the flour and dry yeast. Add luke warm water and whisk together for 30 seconds. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Change the mixer to the paddle attachment. Add all ingredients for the dough into the bowl and mix together at low speed (flour, warm water, potato, olive oil, and salt). Switch to the dough hook and mix again for about 6 minutes
- While the dough is mixing, spread 2 Tbsp of olive oil onto the pan and edges.
- Dip your hands into water and transfer the wet dough onto the baking sheet. Spread the dough onto the pan using your palms. Brush a little olive oil over the entire surface of the dough. Then cover with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise for 2 hours until doubled in size.
- While the dough is resting, slice eggplant into slices and place them into a bowl with your salt. Thoroughly coat the eggplant with salt and let sit for about 30 minutes. The salt will draw out the extra moisture in the eggplant. It will not make the eggplant extra salty.
- After 30 minutes, remove eggplant from the bowl and place in-between 2 sheets of paper towels, and press again to remove any excess moisture.
- Preheat the oven to 400F and place the oven grate in the bottom third of the oven.
- Dip fingertips into the topping mixture and then press fingers into the dough like you are playing the piano, to create dents in the dough. Brush the rest of the topping mixture onto the top of the dough.
- Then place a single layer of eggplant on top.
- Bake the dough for 24-26 minutes. When the edges look golden brown and crisp, remove it from the oven and place it on a cooling rack for about 10 minutes.
- Top the focaccia bread with microgreens before serving.